hg_arch_HOCHDORF_ohneBerg_header-917219-edited

125 years HOCHDORF

An article in the Swiss Official Gazette of Commerce in summer 1894 that referred to export opportunities for sterilised milk in cans, produced the first shoots of the idea to found a corresponding production company in Hochdorf.

Receiving milk in Hochdorf in the 1920s.

THE HOCHDORF TRANSFORMATION

“Once upon a time – the story of the HOCHDORF Group”

Once upon a time – the story of the HOCHDORF GroupAn

 

An article in the Swiss Official Gazette of Commerce in summer 1894 that referred to export opportunities for sterilised milk in cans, especially for shipping companies, produced the first shoots of the idea to found a corresponding production company in Hochdorf. Jean Tschupp-Ineichen from Ballwil produced cans and was committed to business expansion; Theophil Schmidlin, Director of the Seethal railway line, hoped for transport volumes, and the president of the Hochdorf cheese cooperative was persuaded to found a company to this end.

At the founding meeting of the “1st Central Swiss Natural Milk Export Company” on Monday 28 January 1895, in the Hotel Hirschen in Hochdorf, 28 cooperative members subscribed to shares ( 21 were present ). Seven were milk producers. The initial capital of the cooperative amounted to CHF 14,000; the first chairman of this new company was Theophil Schmidlin.

In the year it was founded, the technical know-how and the production facilities were procured, personnel recruited and first contacts made for export. The first cans of sterilised milk were exported in the same year.



Caption:
Receiving milk in Hochdorf in the 1920s. (Image sources: HOCHDORF archive, Daniel Hurter)