- An adult brain weighs approximately 1 – 1.5 kg.
- The brain’s volume is approximately 1.6 litres.
- We have around 100,000,000,000 brain cells.
- Intelligence has nothing to do with brain size.
- An adult brain makes up 2% of body weight and accounts for around 20% of our oxygen consumption and 23% of our energy requirements.
- A child’s brain triples in size in the first 3 years of life.
- The brain is made up of 50 – 60% fat. DHA accounts for around 25% of the fatty acids, with AA accounting for 15%.
- The most important nutrients for the brain are Vitamin A and D, the trace elements iron, iodine, copper, selenium and zinc as well as the omega-3 fatty acid DHA and the omega-6 fatty acid AA.